Book Recommendations

International Travel Experiences

By Jillian Sarver

    This past summer, I had the unique opportunity to spend 31 days at Ft. Knox completing Advanced Camp/Cadet Summer Training (CST) for Army ROTC. CST had been a weight on my shoulders since I was a freshman in college, looming over me and my thoughts of the future. Graduating CST is a pivotal point in your ROTC career because passing it determines whether or not you’re able to commission. Needless to say, there was a lot of pressure on me to pass CST. I was so incredibly stressed about going and spending a month away from my family and friends and having to make brand new friends when I got there. However, I knew going in that I had to give it my all and that I had to make the most of the situation. If I performed very well at CST, I would have a better time and would make myself more competitive for receiving the branch I wanted when I commissioned.

    When I got there, I had a really hard first week. There is not much going on except in processing, so there is a lot of waiting around. All I could think about was how I missed my family and how this was going to be the longest month of my life. As camp progressed and more exciting things started to happen, the pressure started to become more bearable. I had made some really great friends and was starting to enjoy being around everyone. Once we got to the field exercise portion of camp, which is 12 days in the woods with no phone, I started to have fun. I was very nervous about going into the field because that was a huge portion of our grade and was anxious about not having my phone for that long. The field ended up being the best part of CST because I got really close with the people I was around. I made amazing friends and formed deep connections. I ended up going great during my graded promotions as well. 

    Although I would never want to have to complete camp again, it was a learning experience that I will never forget. It taught me so much patience and resilience, and it was one of the hardest mental and physical challenges I have yet to face. It brought me to so many friendships that I still keep in contact with and will always cherish. It taught me a lot about myself and that I can do difficult things that scare me. I feel confident in my path to become a U.S. officer and my ability to be successful.

Jillian is a McConnell Scholar at the University of Louisville in the class of 2027. She is studying political science and military science. 

No comments: