By Grace Fields This summer, I had the privilege of interning in the United States Senate. There are many amazing things I could say about the work I did there. I met incredible people, saw remarkable places, and witnessed historic events unfold before my eyes. However, one of the most meaningful moments of my time in Washington, D.C., took place not in the halls of the Russell Senate Office Building or beneath the Capitol dome, but in the quiet grounds of Arlington National Cemetery.
Before coming to D.C., I created a bucket list of things I wanted to accomplish before my internship ended. One of the items on that list was visiting Arlington. One Saturday morning, I took the Blue Line Metro from Capitol South to Arlington National Cemetery. I remember that day as one of the quietest and most peaceful days of my time in D.C. I walked silently from the platform toward the cemetery entrance and looked up at the glinting white gravestones that seemed to stretch on forever. I was struck by the beauty of the cloudless sky and the calmness of
the gentle breeze.
As I walked through the cemetery, I felt an intense mixture of grief and awe. This was the
final resting place of so many courageous men and women who had served their country. There
were more tombstones within my line of sight than I could possibly count. I expected to cry
because of the weight of their sacrifice, or perhaps because of the brokenness of our world.
Instead, I was surprised to find myself shedding tears because of how utterly fitting the cemetery
felt as their final resting place.
I did not want to make a sound as I walked through the memorial to these men and
women. I felt that the people buried there deserved my reverent silence, but I also realized that I
needed that silence for myself. After all, cemeteries are not memorials for the dead so much as
they are places for the living to remember, reflect, and confront what matters most.
The importance of silence is something I do not think I could have fully understood
without visiting a place like Arlington. We could all benefit from more silence in our world. It is
easier to make noise, and sometimes it is necessary that we do so. But silence is often the harder
and more necessary choice.
In silence, we are left to confront ourselves. We cannot distract ourselves from the
constant movement of everyday life. We are simply left to remember. At Arlington, silence gave
me the space to recognize the magnitude of the lives represented. Perhaps that is why silence felt
so powerful that day. It was a form of remembrance. Standing among those sprawling graves, I
realized that the most meaningful thing we can offer to those memorialized there is simply to
stop, be still, and listen.
the gentle breeze.
As I walked through the cemetery, I felt an intense mixture of grief and awe. This was the
final resting place of so many courageous men and women who had served their country. There
were more tombstones within my line of sight than I could possibly count. I expected to cry
because of the weight of their sacrifice, or perhaps because of the brokenness of our world.
Instead, I was surprised to find myself shedding tears because of how utterly fitting the cemetery
felt as their final resting place.
I did not want to make a sound as I walked through the memorial to these men and
women. I felt that the people buried there deserved my reverent silence, but I also realized that I
needed that silence for myself. After all, cemeteries are not memorials for the dead so much as
they are places for the living to remember, reflect, and confront what matters most.
The importance of silence is something I do not think I could have fully understood
without visiting a place like Arlington. We could all benefit from more silence in our world. It is
easier to make noise, and sometimes it is necessary that we do so. But silence is often the harder
and more necessary choice.
In silence, we are left to confront ourselves. We cannot distract ourselves from the
constant movement of everyday life. We are simply left to remember. At Arlington, silence gave
me the space to recognize the magnitude of the lives represented. Perhaps that is why silence felt
so powerful that day. It was a form of remembrance. Standing among those sprawling graves, I
realized that the most meaningful thing we can offer to those memorialized there is simply to
stop, be still, and listen.
Grace is a McConnell Scholar at the University of Louisville in the class of 2028. She is studying political science and economics.
No comments:
Post a Comment