I was unable to attend a recent McConnell Center event where my classmates shared some travel advice to McConnell Scholars who will soon be on their way to the People's Republic of China.
In my absence, I offer the following advice: Be open-minded and take advantage of every opportunity you can while there. This past summer I was able to really immerse myself in the Chinese culture by being open-minded. Open-minded for me was about trying new things. I didn't necessarily have to enjoy the different foods or all of the places we visited, but I went to all of the sites we visited and at least tried some foods I wasn't familiar with before - such as deep-fried bees! The majority of my memories come from me taking advantage of our non-class days and traveling the city. That bit of spontaneity - wanting to be adventurous, visiting sites on my own and taking advantage of every opportunity offered - made my trip. What you put in to the trip will be what you get out of it!
Junior McConnell Scholars - plan early and start practicing your Chinese!
A. Jenkins
McConnell Scholar, Class of 2012
Book Recommendations
International Travel Experiences
McConnell Center
People's Republic of China
travel advice
University of Louisville
Advice to students headed for study abroad in China
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment